This is an antique telescope, a large single draw refractor for terrestrial or astronomical use. An English, late Georgian piece dating to circa 1820. Perfect for bird watching, landscape appreciation, wildlife, or maritime observation. Equally suitable for observing the night sky. Supplied ready to enjoy; Fully inspected and lenses cleaned by our in-house restorer. Larger than most presenting a clear, sharp optical performance Tapered, original painted, primary barrel in good order Draw tube in good order with smooth action 56mm, 2.25" objective lens Presents a good, sharp and bright image Engraved 'Cary, London' Complete with lens CAP and swivel dust cover Supplied with an London Fine oak and brass 'Captain's Stand' for display An historic, period piece as good to use today as it was two hundred years ago. Dimensions: Max Drawn Length: 112cm (44'' Closed Length: 76cm (30'') Objective Glass Diameter: 5.6cm (2.25'') About Cary, The Stand, London William Cary was born in 1759, the third of four brothers to George and Mary Cary. The eldest, George, was a haberdasher, John a map maker and the youngest, Francis, an engraver. William served his apprenticeship under Jesse Ramsden, arguably one of the finest instrument makers in England, and went on to produce Fine instruments himself, working alongside his brother John. They produced telescopes, microscopes, navigation and surveying equipment, mechanical calculators and measuring instruments. Working out of The Strand, London, England, Cary's equipment was well regarded and used globally, in particular in India and Russia. They went on to produce instruments for contemporaries such as the chemist William Hyde Wollaston. After his death in November of 1825, the firm was taken over by Charles Gould.